It refers to joining the beginning of one word and the end of another to make a new word with a new meaning. Smog, from smoke and fog, and brunch, from breakfast and lunch, are examples of blends.
1 : mix especially : to combine or associate so that the separate constituents or the line of demarcation cannot be distinguished. 2 : to prepare by thoroughly intermingling different varieties or grades. intransitive verb. 1a : to mingle intimately or unobtrusively. b : to combine into an integrated whole.
Blend may also refer to:
- Blend word, a word formed from parts of other words
- Blend (album), a 1996 album by BoDeans
- Blend (cigarette), a Swedish brand
- .blend (file format), a file format used by the open-source 3D application Blender
- Consonant blend, a group of consonants which have no intervening vowel
- Polymer blend, a member of a class of materials analogous to metal alloys
- Microsoft Blend for Visual Studio (formerly Microsoft Expression Blend), a user interface design tool for WPF and Silverlight
- Blend modes in digital image editing, used to determine how two layers are blended into each other
- The Blend (Sirius XM), a satellite radio channel
- Mashup (music)