casa. a house; home: sometimes used in the names of restaurants. Origin of casa. Spanish and Italian.
They say that home is where the heart is, and this couldn’t be truer in Italy where family always comes first.
There is one word in Italian that covers both the words “home” and “house” and that is casa (plural: case).
When used on its own with the following verbs, the translation is always “home” rather than “house”.
- andare a casa = to go home
- venire a casa = to come home
- tornare a casa = to go back home
- restare / rimanere / stare a casa = to stay home
- passare da casa = to pop home (for a short duration)
- mangiare a casa = eat at home
Although not necessary, you can add possessive adjectives such as mia (“my”) or tua (“your”) after casa for emphasis or clarification.